Friday, June 3, 2016

Movie Review: Disney's the Jungle Book (Live Action)

Disney's The Jungle Book is the story of Mowgli.  Mowgli is a little boy, the man-cub, who has been raised in the jungle by a wolf-pack and under the watchful eye of his friend Baheera, the panther who brought him to the wolves when he first discovered Mowgli.  One summer, Mowlgi is discovered by Shere Khan, a tiger, who sees Mowgli as a threat to the jungle and becomes determined to rid the jungle of Mowgli.  The rest of the story is Mowgli's journey to leave the jungle, discover who he is and help those who've helped him.

When I heard that Disney was going into the movie-remake business, and remaking some of my favorite movies from my childhood, I was skeptical.  Well, with this live-action recreation, The Jungle Book, my skepticism was uncalled for.  This movie was good - really good. Even my boyfriend (who doesn't love Disney just as much as I do) found the movie to be quite enjoyable and worth watching.


The Good:
  • The movie was gorgeous. From the scenery to the digitalization, it was such a visually stunning movie.
  • It was good to watch from an adult's perspective.  I recall being on the edge of my seat with anticipation as to what was to come in a few of the scenes; I was able to laugh with the jokes and I was emotionally affected in some of the scenes.
  • I haven't seen the cartoon Jungle Book that came out when I was I child, I don't remember it being exactly the same.  So that was nice, I didn't feel like I paid to see the same movie I've seen years ago.
  • The songs. I love the music from the Jungle Book - and they kept all of my favorites! 
  • The story line - it had me from the beginning of the movie until the end.

The Bad
  • King Louie is absolutely terrifying. If there are apes that large in nature, count me out.
  • While my favorite songs from the original Jungle Book were in this new live-action remake, I felt as though a few of them were butchered.... looking at you Christopher Walken.  
If you haven't seen a preview for the movie, here is one for your enjoyment:



Rating: 5 out of 5 Mickey Mouse Heads!
If you've not seen this movie yet, go see it! If you've seen it, do you agree with my review?
Post a Comment